Volleyball Australia Referee Committee
The Australian Volleyball Referees Commission has previously been a Commission of the AVF Board delivering strategic advice, appointment confirmation and
operational support to and for Volleyball officials. With the restructure of the AVF to become VA the previous structure and scope needed to be repurposed
to deliver under new governance arrangements.
Over the past few years, the then renamed VARC (Volleyball Australia Referees Committee), considered a range of options to best deliver officiating outcomes
within Australian Volleyball and well as best utilise the skills and expertise of the volunteers that make up and or support VARC.
VARC 2018 AND BEYOND
The Referee Committee is an advisory committee, approved by the Board of Volleyball Australia. Its role is to provide transparent leadership, direction
and technical advice to Volleyball Australia.
The Committee will perform the following key duties:
- To identify open and transparent processes in order to increase awareness of and engagement with officiating in Australia.
- To assist in the development of the National Officiating Accreditation program in order to increase the quality of officiating in Australia.
- To assist the states and regional associations to recruit, educate, train and accredit referees at local, state and national levels.
- To work with regions in developing the Officiating Development Model/Plan to the volleyball community in Australia and Oceania.
- To provide oversight for the reporting documentation of all officials, in the nomination, assessment and recommendation processes, are effective, reliable,
transparent and fair.
- To ensure that the Rules of the Game, Refereeing Guidelines and associated by-laws/regulations, for activities conducted within Australia, are consistent
with those developed by the FIVB and World ParaVolley.
- Perform such additional tasks as may be assigned to the Committee by the VA Board or Volleyball Australia staff.
The Referee Committee is a management committee approved by the Volleyball Australia Board consisting of three focal areas:
The Referee Committee Executive is made up of
- three elected members;
- a VA board representative (ex-officio member); and
- the VA National Education and Participation Administration Officer (Secretary)
NOTE: Australian members of the AVC Referee Committee and Oceania Referee Committee (ex-officio) will act as advisors to the committee.
Name: George Chalhoub
Position on VARC: Chair
State Association: State Volleyball New South Wales
Current level: International Volleyball Referee
Started officiating in: 2007
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: ATT:George
- Started refereeing following a level 1 course in March 2007
- Attended my first national junior’s competition in Victoria in July 2008
- Jeff Kostas award recipient at AJVC 2010 in WA
- International referee Candidate Course in Japan in August 2014
- Attended many AVC appointments as an accompanying referee since 2016
- Nominated as an FIVB international referee in January 2017
- Chief referee at AJVC 2016 and 2017
- National Technical Delegate for AVL 2017
- Life member of the NSW Volleyball Referees Association and elected Chair from 2014 to 2019
Name: Catriona Tweedie
Position on VARC: Education Member
State Association: Volleyball Victoria Inc.
Current level: International Beach Volleyball Referee(retired)
Started officiating in: 1996
Contact: email@example.com Subject: ATT:Catriona
- Has played Indoor, Beach and ParaVolley at National level.
- International Beach Referee Course 1997
- International Referee confirmation 1998
- Has refereed over 350 international matches including: Gold Medal matches (women) Marseilles 2010, Beijing 2012, Shanghai 2012, Hainan
Island, Bronze Medal match (women) Austria 2010 Bronze Medal match (women) Switzerland 2010
- Officiated at the Sydney, 2000 and London 2012, Olympic Games
- Officiated, Goodwill Games, Brisbane 2001
- Referee Delegate: World Masters Games, Melbourne, 2002; Deaflympics, Melbourne, 2005; South Pacific Mini Games, Palau, 2005; Youth
- Games, Sydney, 2009; Asian Championships, Sydney, 2016.
- Received the 2010 Merit award for her officiating dedication
- Received referee of the year 2007, 2010, 2012
- Successfully gained a Women in Sport Leadership scholarship: 2013/14.
- A member of VARC member overseeing Technical: 2015-2016 and Education areas 2013-2014 and 2017-2019.
Name: Dean Turner
Position on VARC: Technical Member
State Association: Australian Capital Territory
Current level: International Volleyball Referee Instructor/Coach
Started officiating in: 1979 in Tasmania
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: ATT:Dean
- National Referee 1980 (18 years old);
- International Candidate Course 1987 Hong Kong
- International Referee 1992-2005
- FIVB Referee 1995 (31 years old)
- Previous Chair of Volleyball Australia Referee Committee (1997-2016)
- Referee at the 1996 and 2000 Olympic Games
- Referee at 1994 (Greece), 1998 (Japan) and 2002 (Argentina) Men’s World Championships
- Referee at Women’s World Grand Prix 1993-2001
- Referee at World Cup, Grand Champions Cup, Junior and Youth World Championships
- Asia-Pacific Cup 1989; Asian Junior Men 1990; Asian Senior Women 1993; Asian Senior Men 2005
- Member of the AVC Referee Committee 2005 – present
- FIVB Referee Instructor 2015 - present
- FIVB Referee Coach 2019
- Member of the General Order of Australia (OAM) 2015
- Volleyball Australia Life Member 2019
Name: Jaek Passier
Position on VARC: Pathways Member
State Association: Queensland
Current level: Volleyball Australia Level 4 Referee
Started officiating in: 2003
Contact: email@example.com Subject: ATT:Jaek
- Active AJVC Technical Delegate until 2020
- Chair of the QLD Volleyball Referee Committee since 2017
- NTO at the 2018 Commonwealth Games
- Referee on Australian National Beach Tour Since 2012
- NTO at 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018 Men’s World Leagues and VNL
- Referee at Men’s and Women’s AVL since 2008